Director Janet Hope, set up the Australasian Bariatric Innovations Group out of concern for poor care of the obese population with bariatric needs.
The group's aims are to raise awareness of the complexity of safe and dignified physical management of the person with obesity who has bariatric needs.
AusBIG's objectives are to safely and effectively manage the obese person with bariatric needs by:
- Raising the awareness of safe planning of the journey throughout the healthcare system for the person with obesity who has bariatric needs
- Simplifying the process by which hospitals acquire suitable bariatric equipment
- Raising the awareness of the services available for transporting people with obesity having bariatric needs
- Promoting the development of suitable hospital facilities
- Asking AusBIG members for help in challenging situations through the on-line forum
Each AusBIG division will hold meetings throughout the year.
Australia & New Zealand
AusBIG has expanded, now with a division in each state, territory and New Zealand.
Who Funds the Australian Bariatric Innovations Group?
Work and projects conducted by AusBIG are funded by donation and sponsorship.
Membership is open to professionals involved in the many areas of care of the person with obesity who has bariatric needs.
When you join the Australian Bariatric Innovations Group you become a member of a community of professionals dedicated to improving the physical management and care of the person with obesity who has bariatric needs.
Membership is a small investment with big rewards.
Here are just some of the benefits you will receive as a member of AusBIG:
- An interactive website with "members only" access
- Access to the NEW AusBIG forum
- Sharing of case studies - offering an insight into overcoming amazing hurdles
- Notification of AusBIG meetings - flyers
- Posted past VicBIG meetings
- Conferences and events - state, national and international
- General information
- Networking and sharing knowledge with colleagues via the website and meetings
- Advocacy for increased funding for room design, bariatric equipment and transporting of the person with obesity who has bariatric needs
- Leadership and networking opportunities in your field
- Discounted education programs with BariEd: AusBIG seminars - more discounts and bonuses to come
Membership for Healthcare Professionals is FREE!
Next AusBIG Conference
3rd AusBIG Conference - 14-16 August 2017 - ParkRoyal, Parramatta NSW
Theme: A Bariatric View of Our Health Service - How Do We Measure Up?
Dr Nicolas Kormas
Associate Professor Richard Riley
Venue: ParkRoyal Parramatta
The 2nd AusBIG Conference was on the Gold Coast
17-19th August 2015
SUSAN GALLAGHER - PhD, MA, MSN, RN, WOC Nurse, CBN, HCRM, CSPHP
This conference addressed the importance of management of the person with obesity who has bariatric needs in an acute or emergency situation across a variety of settinTs- accident & emergency/ community / maternity / operating theatre / ICU / acute / aged care and more.